Chairman's Message - Geo Business Show 2016
With Geo Business just around the corner, a couple of days away in fact, I wanted to share with you our thinking behind why we decided to commit so much to this show. Believe me when I tell you that a significant amount of planning and preparation has gone into us attending the show.
It is worth me pointing out that the association has a strong financial footing having built up a substantial financial reserve. We now feel that in order to secure the associations future and therefore implement many of the exciting things we are either currently working or have plans for we need to take this opportunity to push ahead and expand. We want to become a more powerful and proactive organisation and a more European organisation, the latter we have struggled with. This can only happen by expanding our membership base and in particular our membership base in key European territories. To do this we plan to increase our annual business development budget to be a significant proportion of our annual spending.
So this year we have decided to try exhibiting at an industry related conference with a specific goal of increasing awareness of the association both amongst those who use the technology and those who use the data delivered. We chose ‘Geo Business’ in the UK simply because many of the committee were attending already and we were presented with an opportunity for a stand. But more than this, many of our members are exhibiting there also. GPR manufacturers and their agents are exhibiting which suggests there will be delegates there looking to purchase new equipment. GPR service providers are exhibiting which suggests there will be delegates there who are key decision makers in which survey companies they commission.
Although this conference is in the UK we thought we would start here as a trial. If this brings us success here where we already have substantial membership, attending similar events in other countries would surely lead to even greater success where membership is less widespread amongst GPR users. This kind of show is new for us as we have previously only exhibited at specific GPR events primarily more academia focused which we have supported through sponsorship, we will continue with this but we hope that this conference will promote the association to a wider audience.
Now let me tell you about some of the initiatives we are trying, some of which are specific to the conference and some you will be able to take advantage of yourself.
- New marketing material. We have invested in three new pull up banners to promote the association at this and future events. We have also spent time updating our PowerPoint slides to a new format and new content to both display at exhibitions and present at workshops. We would be happy to make this available to our members to use at their own events to help promote the association.
What is EuroGPR - PuD
Membership of EuroGPR - PuD
Did you know? - PuD
- Lapel pin badges. We have bought a stock of branded Lapel badges which we hope or members will wear at this event and in future whenever they are in front of clients or other GPR users. We will be handing these out to members at the show but also we will be sending them out with membership renewals this year.
- Introductory membership offer. We will be offering a substantial first year discount for new membership subscriptions starting next week and running until August. You will see a new promotional code box on our membership application forms. We will be handing out cards containing the current code at the show but this will essentially be available for any new member applications throughout the period.
- Proud member signs. We have created some signs for members to display on their stands stating they are proud members of the association. The signs invite readers to our stand or to visit our website.
- Pop Quiz. To help promote our online assessment programme which we aim to formally launch as a service this year, we have made a sample quiz for people at the show to try. The highest score of each day will win a prize. People not at the show can try it but the prize is only available to delegates of the show. We will tweet the link to the quiz as well as regular updates on the leader so if you haven’t done already follow @eurogpr.
- Workshop. We will also be presenting a workshop at the conference.
We will report on the how the conference went at our AGM later in the year, the date and venue of which will be announced in June. That’s all from me, if you are attending Geo Business, feel free to come and see us at stand D1.